Onion Blossoms Recipe
An Onion Blossomswhole onions cut to resemble a flower and then deep-friedwere the talk of the town when served at a popular local festival in northwestern Louisiana. Steve Watkins of Liar's Pub in Bossier City shares his restaurants recipeJeanne Bennett, Minden, Louisiana
- 2 large sweet onions, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Leaving the root end intact, peel the outer skin of the onion. Cut a small slice off the top. Starting at the top of the onion and on one side, make a cut downward toward the root end, stopping 1/2 in. from the bottom. Make additional cuts 1/8 in. from the first until there are cuts completely across top of onion.
- Turn the onion a quarter turn so the slices are horizontal to you. Repeat the cuts 1/8 in. apart from each other until there is a checkerboard pattern across entire top of onion.
- In a small bowl, make dip by combining the mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder and 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning; set aside.
- In a 1-gal. plastic bag, combine flour and remaining Cajun seasoning. Place milk in a small deep bowl. Coat the cut onion in flour, then dip into milk and back into the flour mixture.
- Fry in enough oil to cover onion at 375° for 5 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove from oil; place on serving plate. Discard the very center of the fried onion blossom. Place a few spoonful of dip in the center of blossom and serve immediately. Yield: 4 appetizer servings.
Originally published as Onion Blossoms in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p51
Reviews for Onion Blossoms(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cajun Appetizers >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dip Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Dip Recipes >
- Hot Dips >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Appetizers >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >