Onion Beet Salad Recipe
- 12 whole fresh beets (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 tablespoons oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18-in. x 12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- 2. Cool to room temperature. Cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil.
- 3. Pour over beet mixture; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup: 135 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Onion Beet Salad
"Used this recipe along with the Roasted Beet Wedges recipe using the fresh rosemary instead of basil. Yum! I sliced them instead of cubing them and used apple cider vinegar."
"Absolutely awesome!I changed it a bit, as I used already cooked beets. Nice to find such a yummy salad for beets"
"very fresh and zingy, very tasty"
"This was amazing, and impressed a very finicky family."
"very, very good and festive."