Onion Beet Salad Recipe
Everyone loves the tangy dressing on these mouthwatering baked beets. I’m always asked to bring this pretty dish to family gatherings.—Barbara Van Lanen, Salinas, California
- 12 whole fresh beets (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 tablespoons oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18-in. x 12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- 2. Cool to room temperature. Cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil.
- 3. Pour over beet mixture; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup equals 135 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC