Onion Beet Salad Recipe
- 12 whole fresh beets (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 tablespoons oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18-in. x 12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- 2. Cool to room temperature. Cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil.
- 3. Pour over beet mixture; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup: 135 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Onion Beet Salad
"Absolutely awesome!I changed it a bit, as I used already cooked beets. Nice to find such a yummy salad for beets"
"very fresh and zingy, very tasty"
"This was amazing, and impressed a very finicky family."
"very, very good and festive."