Onion Beet Salad Recipe
Everyone loves the tangy dressing on these mouthwatering baked beets. I’m always asked to bring this pretty dish to family gatherings.—Barbara Van Lanen, Salinas, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling YIELD:9 servings
- 12 whole fresh beets (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 tablespoons oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18-in. x 12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- 2. Cool to room temperature. Cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil.
- 3. Pour over beet mixture; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup equals 135 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC