Onion-Beef Muffin Cups Recipe
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 6 ounces), cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until very tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook steak for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 2. Return onions to pan. Stir in the flour, brown sugar and salt until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Separate biscuits; split each horizontally into three portions. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of eight ungreased muffin cups, overlapping the sides and tops. Fill each with about 2 tablespoons beef mixture.
- 4. Combine mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over filling. Fold dough over completely to enclose filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Onion-Beef Muffin Cups
"I substitute left over roast beef and homemade biscuits in this recipe. We think the carmalized onion flavor, enhanced by the touch f brown sugar, is what makes it special, so be sure to get the onions to that point."
"I only used one onion, because it's all I had. We thought this was very good, but I don't know that i would add 2 more whole onions! (And I LOVE onions.)"
"I really loved these which surprised me because I wasn't expecting much. I marinated my steak the night before and that added a lot of flavor I think. I tried to work really quickly when putting the filling in to the biscuits because I was afraid if they got too warm they wouldn't be fluffy and flakey but they baked up great despite the hot filling. I had leftover filling that I just served alongside as a bonus and everything was delicious. I will definitely make these again."
"I've made this recipe many times. My whole family LOVES it. The kids even ask to have it for dinner. I dice the onions a little smaller, but other than that I follow the recipe exactly."
"These are great for field meals during harvest!"
"Can't get enough of 'em."