Onion Beef Fettuccine Recipe
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 8 ounces fettuccine, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a skillet, saute onions in butter for 10-15 minutes or until caramelized. Remove onions with a slotted spoon.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Return onions to skillet.
- 3. In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, pepper and cumin. Gradually stir in the broth until smooth. Add to skillet; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Place fettuccine in a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Top with beef mixture. Combine cheeses; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Caramelizing onions brings out their natural sweetness and mellows their sharp flavor. To reduce the risk of burning, sauce the onions in butter over low heat just until onions are coated with the browned butter.
1 each: 337 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.