Onion Beef au Jus Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add the water, soy sauce, soup mix, garlic and, if desired, browning sauce. Pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Let meat stand for 10 minutes, then thinly slice. Return meat to pan juices. Split bread lengthwise; cut into 3-in. sections. Spread with remaining butter. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Top with beef and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with pan juices. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Onion Beef au Jus
Sort By :
"This was awesome. I skipped the browning on all sides in oil. I cooked the roast in a crock pot for 8 hours."
"This was a big hit with the family. It was super delicious and fairly easy. I made it exactly as written and everyone loved it. I served the roast on homemade French bread (from another Taste of Home recipe) and the sandwiches were amazing! Another bonus is that it makes a lot so you can have leftovers for lunch the next day!!"
"Loved by a Dad and 4 boys"