Onion Beef au Jus Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add the water, soy sauce, soup mix, garlic and, if desired, browning sauce. Pour over roast.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Let meat stand for 10 minutes, then thinly slice. Return meat to pan juices. Split bread lengthwise; cut into 3-in. sections. Spread with remaining butter. Place on a baking sheet.
- 4. Broil bread 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Top with beef and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with pan juices. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 422 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 1,179 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.