Onion Barley Casserole
MY HUSBAND and I grew up on plain hearty foods, and we both learned early on that simple food, well prepared, maintains good health.
I always felt I was giving my family the best when I prepared this dish. They loved the nutty flavor and chewy texture of the barley, and it was a delicious departure from rice as a side dish.—Elaine Kremenak
2-4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole button mushrooms, drained
- In an ovenproof skillet, saute barley in oil until golden brown. Stir
- in water, bouillon and salt; bring to boil. Remove from the heat;
- add onions and mushrooms.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until barley is
- tender. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.