MY HUSBAND and I grew up on plain hearty foods, and we both learned early on that simple food, well prepared, maintains good health. I always felt I was giving my family the best when I prepared this dish. They loved the nutty flavor and chewy texture of the barley, and it was a delicious departure from rice as a side dish.—Elaine Kremenak Grants Pass, Oregon
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole button mushrooms, drained
- In an ovenproof skillet, saute barley in oil until golden brown. Stir in water, bouillon and salt; bring to boil. Remove from the heat; add onions and mushrooms.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Originally published as Onion Barley Casserole in Reminisce Extra October 1996, p47
Reviews for Onion Barley Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review