Onion-Bacon Baby Carrots
I came up with this side dish for Thanksgiving, and it was a big hit. Now it has a place at our holiday table as well as impromptu get-togethers with family and friends. —Diana Morrison Poole, Rock Hill, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 15-20
- minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, carrots, salt and pepper; toss
- to combine. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover
- and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in syrup and butter. Sprinkle with french-fried onions and
- bacon. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until fried onions are
- browned. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 180 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium,