I came up with this side dish for Thanksgiving, and it was a big hit. Now it has a place at our holiday table as well as impromptu get-togethers with family and friends. —Diana Morrison Poole, Rock Hill, South Carolina
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, carrots, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in syrup and butter. Sprinkle with french-fried onions and bacon. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until fried onions are browned. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Onion-Bacon Baby Carrots in Taste of Home August/September 2005, p 27
Reviews for Onion-Bacon Baby Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review