Onion 'n' Tomato Topped Muffins
The idea of onion muffins came from a friend of ours who ate onion sandwiches every day. I felt they needed some extra flavor, so I experimented and came up with some simple additions. These muffins make a delicious lunch, which I find men and children especially enjoy.
-Fran Skalisky, Sebeka, Minnesota
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 sweet onion slices
- 4 tomato slices
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Spread muffin halves with butter; top each with an onion slice,
- tomato slice, 1/4 cup cheese and basil. Broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 410 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 591 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.