I wanted something different from garlic toast, so I made a dough with garlic and onions. The next thing I knew, I’d created an amazing dinner roll. —Brenda Caughell, Durham, North Carolina
Recommended: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, mix onion and water. Let stand 10 minutes or until onion is softened. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, wheat germ, oil, honey, garlic powder, salt, onion mixture, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 20 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush rolls with butter; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and rolls are golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 20 rolls.
Originally published as Onion & Garlic Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p42
Reviews for Onion & Garlic Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review