Onion & Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
"These biscuits are seriously addictive! I make a batch and freeze them - my husband microwaves one for breakfast every morning." Elaine Sweet, Dallas, TX
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small skillet, saute sweet onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add vinegar; cook and stir until liquid is evaporated. Cool.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and seasonings. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the onion mixture, cheese and green onions. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 biscuits.
1 biscuit equals 199 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC