- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (5 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water; let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tuna, soy sauce and wasabi. With wet hands, shape 1/2 cup rice into a patty. Place 1 tablespoon tuna mixture in the center. Shape rice around tuna to enclose filling, forming a triangle. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 appetizers.
Originally published as Onigiri (Rice Balls) in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p205
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now
Reviews for Onigiri (Rice Balls)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review