Relates Joan Shew Chuk from St. Benedict, Saskatchewan, "I call this medley my 'homemade Hamburger Helper'. Even the pasta cooks in the same pan."
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 package (7 ounces) ready-cut spaghetti
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in uncooked spaghetti and the next
- eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 30 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender. Sprinkle with
- cheese; cover and heat until melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 373 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet