One-Skillet Pasta Recipe
"This recipe was given to me 25 years ago and remains a family favorite. It's a simple dish with a great twist on traditional spaghetti. By cooking everything in one pot it saves time on prep and clean up." – Susan Spence, Lawrenceville, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:5 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms, brown sugar and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 621 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 967 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 36 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC