One-Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Recipe
Here is one of my favorite ways to cook and enjoy cabbage. It has all the good flavor of regular cabbage rolls, but it's a lot less bother to make. In fact, it's a one-pot meal!—Mrs. Bernard Snow, Lewiston, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1. In a large skillet, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over rice mixture; mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter. Add to simmering sauce.
- 3. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 210 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC