- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large skillet, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over rice mixture; mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter. Add to simmering sauce.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for One-Pot Unstuffed Cabbage
"Loved the One-Pot idea for this. The taste was yummy.... a cozy comfort food on a cool night! I left out the raisins. My husband loved it the first night and again warmed over."
"This was a hit with my family. Delicious just the way it is, and simple to assemble. I wouldn't change a thing! Will definitely make again."
"I made this today and WOW! What an excellent recipe! My father in law is German and he will love this when I bring him some tomorrow. I doubled the recipe and I also added diced potatoes to it and chopped garlic to the meatballs. After adding the cabbage I added some salt and pepper. I also only used about 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. (not a fan of lemon juice lol) My husband totally loved this dish. He said it reminded him of his grandmother's cabbage soup. I posted and shared this recipe on Facebook, I highly recommend it! Very good recipe. My husband said as he was eating it, "you can make this again!" Thank you for sharing it Mrs. Bernard Snow! =)"
"Loved this, great family dinner. I will use this often."
"Yummy, great comfort food on a cold night, easy to make and low fat. This was my first try, and I didn't change a thing. I will definitely make this again, but would reduce the amount of lemon juice and probably omit he raisins and add some sugar instead like others have suggested. I imagine it would be good with pork or sausage."
"Delicious! I made this for dinner tonight and my husband loved it, as did I. I followed the recipe exactly except I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Will definitely make again!"
"One of the great things about TOH recipes is that you can modify them to your taste and what you have on hand. I omitted the lemon juice and raisins. I also used a leftover jar of marinara sauce for the large can of diced tomatoes. I did add a small can of fire roasted tomatoes to have that diced texture though. It turned out amazing still!"
"GREAT DISH! Easy to prep, delicious and the leftovers are fantastic! I'll certainly be making this again!"
"simple to make,fabulous to eat..."
"I made this tonight. Changed it up a little, added some beef broth in place of some of the water and used crushed tomatoes instead of diced but it was incredible. Will definitely make this again."