- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large skillet, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over rice mixture; mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1-1/4 in. in diameter. Add to simmering sauce.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for One-Pot Unstuffed Cabbage
"One of the great things about TOH recipes is that you can modify them to your taste and what you have on hand. I omitted the lemon juice and raisins. I also used a leftover jar of marinara sauce for the large can of diced tomatoes. I did add a small can of fire roasted tomatoes to have that diced texture though. It turned out amazing still!"
"GREAT DISH! Easy to prep, delicious and the leftovers are fantastic! I'll certainly be making this again!"
"simple to make,fabulous to eat..."
"I made this tonight. Changed it up a little, added some beef broth in place of some of the water and used crushed tomatoes instead of diced but it was incredible. Will definitely make this again."
"Tried this recipe, it was ok. Didn't really like the rice balls outside the cabbage. I think putting inside the cabbage and just making a good old cabbage rolls it would be better. I shouldn't have added the salt, was slightly salty. I do not think I would make again."