One-Pot Chuckwagon Chow
Try serving this mild chili-like dish with tortilla chips or flour tortillas, suggests Dorothy Cowan of Ferndale, California. She adds, "Since this cooks up in a single pot, it's perfect for camping, too."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Drain. Add the corn, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings;
- cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 300 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.