One-Dish Oven Stew Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring twice. Add peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 263 calories, 5g fat (0g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 meat, 2 vegetable.