One-Dish Oven Stew Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring twice. Add peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-1/3 cup serving equals 263 calories, 257 mg sodium, 33 mg cholesterol, 38 gm carbohydrate, 17 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 meat.