Clever little meatballs deliver the flavor and rich sauce of a traditional tamale in a bite-size portion. They’re a delightfully different addition to a holiday spread. —Dolores Jaycox, Gretna, Louisiana
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
- 1-1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-3/4 cups V8 juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- Tortilla chip scoops
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix cornmeal, flour, 3/4 cup V8 juice, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10-in. pan. Bake until cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-qt. slow cooker, mix remaining V8 juice, chili powder, cumin and salt. Gently stir in meatballs. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. Serve with tortilla chip scoops. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as One-Bite Tamales in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p10
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for One-Bite Tamales
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review