Olivia's Applesauce Cake Recipe
This cake is the one Olivia Walton made in the movie "The Homecoming", which was the basis for the TV series "The Waltons". She made the cake for Christmas, but apples are plentiful here, so we enjoy it any time of the year!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Remove 1/2 cup flour mixture to a small bowl; stir in raisins and nuts.
- 2. Add remaining flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisin mixture. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 500 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC