Olivia's Applesauce Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Remove 1/2 cup flour mixture to a small bowl; stir in raisins and nuts.
- Add remaining flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisin mixture. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Olivia's Applesauce Cake
Sort By :
Since I didn't have a fluted tube pan I made mine in an 8 in baking dish. Turned out great ............One serving did my husband's sweet tooth in.
I'm a pretty fair baker and this recipe doesn't work. It was brick heavy and tasteless. Never again!
I brought this recipe to a friends house last night for the dessert because they made the main meal and everyone raved about it & I must give them a copy of this recipe, the husbans wanted more & we said to wait. Sandie Flaxington, College Station, Tx.
I guess I was a little harsh with my rating. I did manage to salvage it by making an orange glaze and pouring over the top. IF I do make this again I will put some orange zest in the batter.
Sorry about the rating but this cake was NOT what I thought it would be. It smelled so good while it was baking (I baked it for ONLY 60 minutes and should have taken it out at 55! The estimated times of 65-75 would have been way too long. My goodness I never heard of baking a cake for that long!)
It was moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Hmmm. And it tasted blah. No flavor. I think it should maybe have some molasses. My (homemade) applesauce even had cinnamon in it so thought I would be able to taste the cinnamon. Guess I will keep looking for that one special recipe some more. Sorry Olivia!