After adding my own special touches to a basic foccacia recipe, including sun-dried tomatoes, olives and roasted sweet red peppers, the results were simply delectable. The flavorful, chewy loaf makes a wonderful accompaniment to nearly any meal. —Dee Froemel, Hayward, Wisconsin
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 to 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained
- 5 Greek olives, sliced
- 5 sliced green olives with pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon shredded Romano cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in tomatoes, peppers, olives and parsley.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a 9-in. circle on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cheeses.
- Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (8 wedges).
Originally published as Olive Focaccia in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p180
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Olive Focaccia
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review