Olive Caprese Salad Recipe
When heirloom tomatoes arrive, feature them with red onions, green olives and a surprising twist-star anise. —Julie Merriman, Seattle, Washington
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 pounds medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced and halved
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil, tarragon, mint and cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup vinegar, sugar and star anise. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly; stir in onion. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, cheese, herbs and serrano pepper. Remove star anise from onion mixture; drain onion, reserving 2 tablespoons marinade. (Discard remaining marinade or save for other use.) Add onion to tomato mixture.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice and peel and remaining vinegar; pour over tomato mixture. Drizzle with reserved marinade; toss gently to coat. Season with salt if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 175 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Olive Caprese Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC