Olive Caprese Salad Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 pounds medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced and halved
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil, tarragon, mint and cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup vinegar, sugar and star anise. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly; stir in onion. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, cheese, herbs and serrano pepper. Remove star anise from onion mixture; drain onion, reserving 2 tablespoons marinade. (Discard remaining marinade or save for other use.) Add onion to tomato mixture.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice and peel and remaining vinegar; pour over tomato mixture. Drizzle with reserved marinade; toss gently to coat. Season with salt if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 175 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Olive Caprese Salad
"Easy to make!"
"This recipe was excellent. The combination of all the spices and the addition of olives made this dish absolutely delicious."