Olive Bread Recipe
With just 5 ingredients you can bake up this tender loaf with a colorful swirl of olives. This is a great bread to serve when you are having a large group at home or to take to a potluck.—Ann Major, Oskaloosa, Kansas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle olives to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (30 slices).
1 slice equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC