Old-World Sauerbraten Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add all remaining ingredients except gingersnaps; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 hour.
- 2. During the last 30 minutes, stir in gingersnaps. Remove meat; discard bay leaves and cloves. While slicing meat, bring gravy to a boil to reduce and thicken. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 each: 229 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein
Reviews for Old-World Sauerbraten
"Delicious and easy!!"
"Easy & just as delicious as the recipes requiring marinating for 3 days. I marinated mine overnight for extra flavor. Without marinating, most of the sauerbraten flavor is in the gravy rather than in the meat. I didn't make a spice sachet; rather, I strained the cooking liquid then thickened. Easy & delicious."
"This sauerbraten is so delicious:P My family request this recipe often. This is great for Octoberfest with all the Germans sides:P"
"This was the best tasting and most tender roast we have ever had! Wonderful!!"
"This sauerbraten was heaven for our taste buds! Great in the fall, too."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.