Old-World Sauerbraten Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add all remaining ingredients except gingersnaps; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 hour.
- 2. During the last 30 minutes, stir in gingersnaps. Remove meat; discard bay leaves and cloves. While slicing meat, bring gravy to a boil to reduce and thicken. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Old-World Sauerbraten
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.