Old-World Sauerbraten Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add all remaining ingredients except gingersnaps; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 hour.
- During the last 30 minutes, stir in gingersnaps. Remove meat; discard bay leaves and cloves. While slicing meat, bring gravy to a boil to reduce and thicken. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-World Sauerbraten(3)
Sort By :
This sauerbraten is so delicious:P My family request this recipe often. This is great for Octoberfest with all the Germans sides:P
This was the best tasting and most tender roast we have ever had! Wonderful!!
This sauerbraten was heaven for our taste buds! Great in the fall, too.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >