Old-World Pork Roast Recipe
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Potato dumplings or mashed potatoes, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine caraway seeds, sage, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub over roast. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°-170°. Remove roast from pan; keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup; add enough water to equals 2 cups. Pour into a small saucepan; add browning sauce if desired, cornstarch, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Slice roast; serve with gravy and dumplings or potatoes if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 219 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 33 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer