I've been making this recipe for most of my some 70 years. No one can resist this hearty old-fashioned fare.Ethel Harrison, North Fort Myers, Florida
10 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add remaining ingredients;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or
- until cabbage is tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with margarine, low-fat smoked turkey sausage and no-salt-added tomatoes) equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 454 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 meat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer