Old World Italian Beef Roll Recipe
- 2 slices bacon or salami, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds and 1/2-inch thick), pounded to tenderize
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Spaghetti sauce
- Cooked pasta
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Spread over steak, roll-up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Tie with string.
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil and brown meat on all sides. Add water; cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove string; cut steak into 1-1/2-in. slices. Serve with spaghetti sauce and pasta. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now