Old-Time Popcorn Balls
Our whole family loves popcorn. These old-time popcorn balls are great anytime, but they're especially fun to pass out to trick-or-treaters or to use at Christmastime as stocking stuffers! They always look appealing when covered in clear wrap and tied with a festive ribbon.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside. In a large heavy
- saucepan, combine the molasses, sugar, water, vinegar and butter.
- Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until the mixture reaches
- 235° on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage). Add baking soda
- and stir well.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over popcorn, stirring gently
- with a wooden spoon until well coated. When cool enough to handle,
- quickly shape into 3-in. balls, dipping hands in cool water to
- prevent the syrup from sticking. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 170 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.