Old-Time Cake Doughnuts Recipe
This tender cake doughnut is a little piece of heaven at breakfast. For a variation, add 1 tablespoon dark rum for a richer flavor. Alissa Stehr, Gau-Odernheim, Germany
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 3. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; pat dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- 4. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; roll warm doughnuts in mixture.
Freeze option: Wrap doughnuts in foil and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag. May be frozen for up to 3 months. To use, remove foil. Thaw at room temperature. Warm if desired. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 doughnut equals 198 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Old-Time Cake Doughnuts
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC