Old-Time Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until smooth. Gradually add milk and egg and mix well. On a floured surface, roll dough out very thin. Place in a 10-in. pie pan; set aside.
- 2. For filling, cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Add flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 446 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Old-Time Buttermilk Pie
"My kids love buttermilk pie. They however did not care for this version which was flavored too strongly with lemon"
"My husband loves this pie."