Old-Time Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until smooth. Gradually add milk and egg and mix well. On a floured surface, roll dough out very thin. Place in a 10-in. pie pan; set aside.
- For filling, cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Add flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Old-Time Buttermilk Pie
Sort By :
"My kids love buttermilk pie. They however did not care for this version which was flavored too strongly with lemon"
"This pie is excellent! I have used many different recipes over the years and this one is our favorite. I reduced the butter by half and put it in custard cups to bake. A lower fat treat and equally delicious! Thanks for the recipe."
"I used to make this pie years ago when in high school. I found this recipe and it is delicious! Will definitely become a regular in my pie baking."
"We are HUGE buttermilk pie lovers! This recipe was fantastic...only modification I made was to lessen the amount of sugar to 1.5 cups. Didn't affect the outcome in any way! DELICIOUS and recommended to anyone who wants a simple yet decadent dessert!"
"My husband loves this pie."