Old-Time Apple Crisp Recipe
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. Place apples in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and allspice; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1/2 cup: 298 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Old-Time Apple Crisp
"Absolutely perfect balance of flavors. A delicious classic. Don't, however, use chopped frozen apples, as I did. Left the texture too mushy. This was my fault, not the recipe. I will use fresh tart apples next time."
"Another *GREAT* favorite!"
"I have made many apple crisps for my family. I love them so much! Warms you up on a cold day! This recipe is perfect. The right balance of sugar, flour, oats and butter to make the crisp! Mmmmm!!!"
"Great flavor with addition of the allspice!"
"Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Yumm"
"This is my favorite apple crisp recipe I've made so far. I always use oats with really Full heads instead of the ones that look like they've been ground up into powder already. This gives them that classic oatmeal look and the smell of this crisp as it comes out of the oven is amazing. Truly mouth-watering. Serve with a little vanilla ice cream and it's like a little slice of heaven after dinner."
"Just made it - yummy! Can't wait to get a second bowl."
"I'd prepared this recipe just once, but it was really delicious! I am including it in my collection of recipes to prepare when the time warrrants an apple crisp dessert-like for a wedding shower held on 10/10/10! Dawn"
"This is the best apple crisp recipe I have found and always get good reviews from guests. I double the apples because I like a lot of fruit."