Old Tavern Corn Fritters
Two co-workers who also subscribe to Taste of Home helped me convince the owners of The Old Tavern, Gary and Ralph Haskins, to give out the recipe. It has been a secret for nearly 200 years.Laura Lagasse, Unionville, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Maple syrup, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; set aside. In
- another bowl, beat the eggs and milk; stir in corn and butter. Stir
- into dry ingredients just until blended.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into hot oil; fry for 2-3 minutes or
- until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar. Serve with syrup. Yield: about 2 dozen.