Old Settlers' Baked Beans Recipe
My husband likes spicy dishes, and this is one of his favorites. He usually takes what's left to work for lunch the next day. We have a 4-year-old son, and this is the only way we can get him to even touch beans!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. P
- 2. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 603 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC