Old Settlers' Baked Beans
My husband likes spicy dishes, and this is one of his favorites. He usually takes what's left to work for lunch the next day. We have a 4-year-old son, and this is the only way we can get him to even touch beans!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and
- onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients
- except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. P
- Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 603 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.