Old Glory Angel Food
Old Glory Angel Food makes a glorious dessert for your Fourth of July celebration. It's easy to assemble, but the triple layers and stars-and-stripes topping look like you fussed.
"One July, we invited a couple over for a backyard barbecue," relates Anne Nabbefeld of Hortonville, Wisconsin. "The woman had recently become a United States citizen, so I created this cake for her. It was a big hit
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Additional blueberries and strawberries
- Split cake horizontally into thirds. Place bottom layer on a serving
- platter. Combine 1 cup whipped topping and strawberries; spread over
- bottom layer. Top with second cake layer.
- Combine 1 cup topping and blueberries; spread over second layer. Top
- with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining topping. Arrange
- additional berries over top of cake to form a flag. Yield: 8
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.