Old Glory Angel Food Recipe
Old Glory Angel Food makes a glorious dessert for your Fourth of July celebration. It's easy to assemble, but the triple layers and stars-and-stripes topping look like you fussed. "One July, we invited a couple over for a backyard barbecue," relates Anne Nabbefeld of Hortonville, Wisconsin. "The woman had recently become a United States citizen, so I created this cake for her. It was a big hit."
- 1 loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Additional blueberries and strawberries
- Split cake horizontally into thirds. Place bottom layer on a serving platter. Combine 1 cup whipped topping and strawberries; spread over bottom layer. Top with second cake layer.
- Combine 1 cup topping and blueberries; spread over second layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining topping. Arrange additional berries over top of cake to form a flag. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Old Glory Angel Food in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p44
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Old Glory Angel Food
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review