Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Recipe
This makes a perfect cake for a special dinner for two. I have made lots of cakes and this one is easy. There have been many suppers for two since our family has grown and flown the nest. —Diane Still, Monroe, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 353 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC