Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 353 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
"I just made this cake. I tweaked it a little by using salted butter instead of shortening and I only used 1/3 C of sugar as I don't like real sweet things and 1/2c would be too sweet for me. I also added a little lemon flavoring as well as vanilla. For the icing I used semi-sweet dark chocolate, a little butter and a little milk.......it made a nice glossy, glazy icing. OMG! Perfect!! Nice and buttery with just the right amount of sweet. This cake is great when you don't want a big cake...just a little something to satisfy a craving. I give it 5 stars making it my way : - )"
"I have never made a cake from scratch before, so after hours of searching for scratch recipes, I came across this one because of the great reviews. And I LOVED it. It gets 5 stars, but it does have a slightly floury taste. Not too sure if it is from the flour or the shortening giving it a powder sort of taste. This recipe will be added to my favorites and I can't wait to use it again. I used the cake to make a pineapple upside-down cake."
"I just made this and it is good."
"A family hit. Nice size for a little family treat. No adjustments, simple and basic ingredients. This recipe is a keeper."
"Great made from scratch yellow cake."
"Love! I made some changes, used butter instead of shortening. I also found out after I started making the frosting that I didn't have powdered sugar. I ended up drizzling the brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the cake. It was amazing, don't think I'll even add the powdered sugar next time."
"Made this cake for our 3rd. Son 25 Birthday today he loved it :)grandchildren enjoyed helping making it, (also so delicious and moist)! Thank u!"
"such a great recipe for a yellow cake , moist with rich flavor, i made it more than once already! thanks a lot for sharing the recipe"
"This is the second time I have made this. My husband loves it and it's just perfect for the two of us. I make a simple butter frosting for ours and sprinkle pecans on the top."
"this is very delicious, easy to make, but i think its bit too moist but i like it, i made another frosting & i will make it today again !"
"This is a great alternative to boxed cake mixes. I especially like that this cake requires no huge amount of egg whites; (what a waste of eggs.) You can also pour the mixture into a greased 8 inch round baking pan instead of a loaf pan. I did not try the icing in this recipe- I frosted my cake with chocolate icing. My family likes all things chocolate and rarely really enjoys white cake; they loved this one; (the chocolate icing helped this!) Great classic cake, I will make it again."
"I think the flour that is listed for the frosting is actually part of the cake, instead .. .. .. a mistake in the directions."
"I have made this several times and will continue to make it. I didn't care for the icing so I use a simple chocolate buttercream instead. My husband did really like the icing listed here though. I did use butter instead of shortening but didn't change anything else. It makes a perfect little cake for two without having a bunch of wasted cake. Thank you for posting this recipe."