Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake(13)
Sort By :
such a great recipe for a yellow cake , moist with rich flavor, i made it more than once already! thanks a lot for sharing the recipe
This cake recipe is AWSOME, moist and delicious. Sadly, the frosting was way to sweet, and not good for the cake! :-)
This is the second time I have made this. My husband loves it and it's just perfect for the two of us. I make a simple butter frosting for ours and sprinkle pecans on the top.
Cake very moist and flavorful. I have other frosting recipes better but this one is good too. The cake, though, is quick and easy and perfect for the two of us for a couple of days!