- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
Sort By :
"This is a good cake. I may double the recipe to make a larger cake next time. The flavor is very good. Instead of frosting the cake, I served it with a scoop of ice cream and fresh strawberries."
"I just made this and it is good."
"A family hit. Nice size for a little family treat. No adjustments, simple and basic ingredients. This recipe is a keeper."
"Great made from scratch yellow cake."
"Love! I made some changes, used butter instead of shortening. I also found out after I started making the frosting that I didn't have powdered sugar. I ended up drizzling the brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the cake. It was amazing, don't think I'll even add the powdered sugar next time."