Old-Fashioned Whoopie Pies Recipe
Who can resist soft chocolate sandwich cookies filled with a layer of fluffy white frosting? Mom has made these for years...they're a treat that never lasted very long with me and my two brothers around. -Maria Costello, Monroe, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water. Cool for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a spoon. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thick, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool.
- 4. In a small bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture; beat for 7 minutes or until fluffy. Spread filling on half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 244 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC