Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla.
- 3. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 cup: 181 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding
"Super easy to make and quite tasty. I used this today in a cake as a lighter version of pastry cream, and it worked really well."
"This was a great filling for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary cake. You may want to double it though...I also added an additional tsp of vanilla because I love vanilla and using vanilla bean is even better."
"This is exactly my mom's pudding recipe, just pared down. Very yummy. I had some leftover rice last week and mad this into rice pudding. Delicious and brings back very fond memories of home."
"This pudding was a really good base for "cinnamon roll pudding."I took a partial batch of homemade cinnamon rolls out of the freezer, chopped them up, and mixed them with the vanilla pudding, YUM!"
"Really enjoyed this and will be making again tonght!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.