Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding
This creamy vanilla pudding is sure to be a favorite. “It’s always good and so easy to make,” confirms Katie Anderson of Spokane, Washington.
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1
- minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and
- Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert
- dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.