- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 2 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding
Sort By :
"Super easy to make and quite tasty. I used this today in a cake as a lighter version of pastry cream, and it worked really well."
"This was a great filling for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary Cake. You may want to double it though...I also added an additional tsp of vanilla because I love vanilla and using vanilla bean is even better."
"This is exactly my mom's pudding recipe, just pared down. Very yummy. I had some leftover rice last week and mad this into rice pudding. Delicious and brings back very fond memories of home."
"This pudding was a really good base for "cinnamon roll pudding."I took a partial batch of homemade cinnamon rolls out of the freezer, chopped them up, and mixed them with the vanilla pudding, YUM!"
"Really enjoyed this and will be making again tonght!"