Old-Fashioned Turkey Noodle Soup Recipe
Make the most of leftover turkey with this down-home soup. Creating a broth by roasting the turkey, garlic and vegetables adds richness and depth to the flavor without the need for additional fats. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 3-1/2 hours + chilling Cook: 45 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 2 cooked turkey wings, meat removed
- 2 cooked turkey drumsticks, meat removed
- 1 turkey neck bone
- 1 medium unpeeled onion, cut into wedges
- 2 small unpeeled carrots, cut into chunks
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 quarts plus 1 cup cold water, divided
- 3 quarts water
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the turkey carcass, bones from wings and drumsticks, neck bone, onion, carrots and garlic in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour, turning once.
- 2. Transfer the carcass, bones and vegetables to an 8-qt. stockpot. Add 4 qts. cold water; set aside. Pour remaining cold water into baking pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- 3. Cool slightly. Strain broth; discard bones and vegetables. Set stockpot in an ice-water bath until cooled, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Skim fat from broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, bring 3 qts. water to a boil. Add noodles and carrots; cook for 4 minutes. Add celery; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until noodles and vegetables are tender. Drain; add to simmering broth. Add cubed turkey; heat through. Stir in the parsley, salt, thyme and pepper. Yield: 10 servings (about 4 quarts).
1-1/2 cup equals 188 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC