Old-Fashioned Tomato Gravy Recipe
Meet the Cook: My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. It's her very favorite breakfast. We - my husband, our two sons (15 and 12) and I - also enjoy it for a light supper. Especially on a cold day, it's great with warm peach cobbler or bread pudding. -Laurie Fisher, Greeley, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 6 to 8 hot biscuits, split
- 1. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 225 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1,001 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC