Old-Fashioned Tomato Gravy
Meet the Cook: My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. It's her very favorite breakfast. We - my husband, our two sons (15 and 12) and I - also enjoy it for a light supper. Especially on a cold day, it's great with warm peach cobbler or bread pudding.
-Laurie Fisher, Greeley, Colorado
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 6 to 8 hot biscuits, split
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to
- drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in
- drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and
- stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add
- tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium
- heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in
- bacon. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 225 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1,001 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.