My family loves old-fashioned tapioca, but I don't always have the time to make it. That's why I developed this simple recipe that let's us enjoy the comforting dessert without the fuss. —Ruth Peters, Bel Air, Maryland
18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup pearl tapioca
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries and whipped cream, optional
- In a 4- to 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the milk, tapioca, sugar and
- salt. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; stir in a small amount of hot tapioca
- mixture. Return all to the slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover
- and cook 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 18
- servings (1/2 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 149 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.