My family likes the marshmallow topping, but you can also vary it if you prefer a crunchier texture.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 large marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mash. Add the milk, brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Top with marshmallows. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or just until marshmallows begin to puff and brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p351
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review