- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 large marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mash. Add the milk, brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Top with marshmallows. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or just until marshmallows begin to puff and brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole
Sort By :
"This recipe is a big hit with everyone in my family especially my husband."
"I forgot to add, I used the crunchy topping instead of the marshmallows, I'm not a big marshmallow fan. If you like pecans, definitely go with the crunchy topping."
"I decided I wanted to try something different than the ordinary baked sweet potatoes and came upon this recipe. Making it was pretty easy. The hardest thing was cutting the sweet potatoes, they're surprisingly harder to cut than a regular potato. But after I got them all cut and boiled, the rest was a breeze. I took this to a Christmas dinner at my sisters house and everyone there absolutely loved it. I will definitely be making this again! All year round even, not just for Christmas!"
"I've made this recipe several times and it's always a favorite. I prefer it with the crunchy topping. That variation also freezes well all ready cooked perfectly ready to pop in the oven to warm up. Very yummy."